With Father’s Day just around the corner and it being the season of summer weddings, I wanted to share some unique ideas on how to celebrate your dad on the “big day.” My dad is one of my biggest role models and has been there for me through it all. And I know my wedding was an especially important day for him, so it was really important to us to incorporate him into it. Cheers to all of the fathers out there!
1. Thank your dad before you walk down the aisle. For a father, walking his daughter down the aisle can be both the scariest and happiest moments of his life. Before you make your big appearance, thank him and make sure he knows how important he is to you. If you have time in the morning, you can even do a “first look” with your dad, or deliver to him a hand-written letter explaining how much he means to you.
2. Dance to your dad’s favorite song! The father-daughter wedding dance is a special tradition, but personalize it even more by dancing to one of your dad’s favorite songs. He not only will be smiling to have his little girl in his arms, but he will be grooving with his best moves.
3. Ask your dad to read something special during the ceremony. Dad’s typically give a toast during the reception, but incorporating him into the ceremony will make him feel like he has a bigger role on your special day. He won’t say no!
4. Wear something that belongs to your dad. People always hear about bride’s wearing their mother’s wedding gown, but we rarely ever hear about them wearing something of their dad’s. Whether it is a piece of jewelry he wears or even the pattern of his favorite tie, incorporate it into your wedding day.
5. Don’t be afraid to ask for your dad’s opinion. When it comes to planning the big day, make sure your father knows his voice will be heard and that what he thinks matters too!
Follow Leila Lewis on Twitter: